Pages

Wednesday 4 January 2012

Cosmetics Data Base

I found out about this cosmetic data base website a few years ago and it has changed the way I buy beauty products.

Its a database of products and their ingredients, and then gives the product a score of 0-10 for hazards.


Hazard score key:

Low hazardModerate hazardHigh hazard

Data score key:

Data: None
Data availability rating: the scope of ingredient safety data contained in Skin Deep®, and the number of studies available in the open scientific literature
Data: Limited
Data: Fair
Data: Good
Data: Robust


Not only has it made me think about the products that I use (moisturizer, shampoo, soap, make-up, sunscreen, it has almost any product that you can think of) but now I double check anything that I use on my baby girl. I have been given the advice if you wouldn't eat it, don't use it. And as babies put everything in their mouths (including my hands, arms, neck, face.....) its a pretty good guideline.

Products that I like (and their hazard ratings)

Dr Bronner's Baby Soap (1)
Shaklee Baby Soap (2)
Shaklee Baby Lotion (1)
Seventh Generation UnScented baby Wipes (1)
Nature Babycare eco sensitive fragrance free baby wipes (2)

Aveda Shampure Shampoo (5)
Aveda Rosemary mint Conditioner (2)
Dr Bronner's peppermint soap (1)
Olay complete spf30 defence moisturizer (4)
Burt's Bees Lip Balm and Lip Shimmer (2-3)
Curel Moisturizer (2)
Aveeno Moisturizer (2)

These are the products used most often around our house, and now that I have them all written out, its not too bad.  Ideally nothing would be above a 2 rating, I think now that I have it all written out like this its pretty clear that I should switch from Aveda Shampure to Rosemary Mint Shampoo to match the less hazardous conditioner that I already use.

There are a few products that I use that are not int the data base, but if and when I have the time, I can enter each of the ingredients and find out the individual hazards and decide if the product meets my requirements.

I also use various hair products and some makeup (which don't rank as good) - but these are not daily items for me.

I have heard a lot about using coconut oil as moisturizer, but I haven't tried it yet. and seeing as my current products don't rate too bad, I don't really have any extra motivation right now - I will have to wait until something runs out and needs to be replaced.

as the cosmetics database website says "use your buying power to change the market - and help make personal care products safer for us all".

- Lauren

No comments: