Pages

Monday 31 October 2011

Cooking With Squash

I have about 6 squash sitting on my counter - different types: butternut, acorn, sweet potato squash and a jamboree pumpkin. I have never used the last two types before but from what i have learned so far about squash is to cut them in half, remove the seeds and roast in the oven. These types are interchangeable (in my mind) in recipes, they might change the taste slightly but the recipe will still work.

The easiest way I find to eat them is after roast
ing in the oven, add some butter, brown sugar or maple syrup and puree. Easy and delicious.

Alittle more strenuous is to make soup. My favourite is Roasted Butternut Squash soup from the Rebar cookbook. I have had many different types and they all turn out pretty good.

A new one
for us this summer was eating spaghetti squash - while roasting the squash, we sauteed onion, garlic, peppers and tomatoes (and pretty much anything in your fridge) and then added the veggies to the squash and mixed with goat cheese. Its hard to believe you aren't eating pasta.

I had never baked with squash or pumpkin before, all the recipes I have seen call for canned pumpkin puree but I substituted with fresh roasted and pureed. My latest project was to make some muffins (also from
the Rebar Modern Food Cookbook).


















2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk ( I used 1 cup minus 1 tsp of milk and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar for a substitute )
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree ( I used some leftover pureed acorn squash)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup millet (I used ground flax seeds)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup unbleached flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger (I omitted this as I don't really like ginger)
1/4 tsp nutmeg

-mix wet ingredients together
-mix dry ingredients together
-mix wet and dry together - do not overmix
-fill muffin cups (i made 12 large and 12 small)
-bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

I think next time I will probably also add some chocolate chips

If you have any favourites - let us know, I love trying new things!

Where do you look for new recipes? websites? cookbooks? friends? blogs?

-Lauren

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Kristal was telling me that she made squash risotto last week - and thats what we are having for dinner tonight!