Pages

Monday 19 December 2011

Soda Bread Anyone?

As you may or may not know, we have some Northern Irish blood in our family.  Growing up, soda bread was a staple in our home.  Seriously, our Mom made it almost daily!  

Even though it's been forever since I have lived under my parents roof, I love it when my Mom makes me soda bread.  Sometimes she brings a whole batch or two to my house and puts it in the freezer for me.  It's such a treat for breakfast with butter and homemade jam : )

It's been a while since my freezer has been stocked with soda bread and last week I thought to myself, "how hard can it be to make it".  Turns out it was pretty easy.  Can't believe it's taken me so long to make it!  If you're interested, here's the recipe:

Irish Soda Bread

1 2/3 cups of flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1 cup of buttermilk ( approx)

1.  Mix together dry ingredients.  
2.  Add in buttermilk.  
3.  Turn onto floured board.      

4.  Form into a circle.
5.  Cut into four.

6.  Bake in a frying pan at medium heat.  No oil or butter in the pan.
Flip when brown.  When you're ready to eat it, slice the quarter in half and pop the 2 halves in the toaster or toaster oven  to crisp them up a bit.   You can eat them without toasting them, but my preference is always to toast : )

No comments: