Pages

Thursday 22 March 2012

Gardening in March?



Over the years, I have slowly been improving my vegetable gardening skills and knowledge.  Mostly I have learned from trial and error.  So far its worked out well for me.

Last year we built two raised gardens.  I like the concept of raised beds for a few reasons:

1.  Ascetically I think they are neater.  You don't have to worry about weeding around the edges, grass creeping in etc.
2.  It prevents you from walking on the soil which means that its not all packed down - this means that things can grow easier.  It makes pulling weeds easy too.
3.  Since you aren't walking in between rows of plants, you are leaning over and you can plant things closer together.  I have loosely followed the 'square foot gardening' ideas.

After some planning about what to plant this year, I learned that you can plant a few things as soon as the soil is workable.  They will survive with minimal frost.  This week I planted onions, spinach and peas.

Some of my perennials from last year include: chives, garlic, strawberries, sage, oregano and thyme.  It looks like parsley made it through the winter which is rare.  I don't think my rosemary made it.  I also planted some asparagus last year, so we will have to see if it came back - although it will be a few more years before we get anything to eat.  Other food in the yard includes: rhubarb, mint, raspberries and cherries.

Anyone else started playing in some dirt yet?

- Lauren

No comments: