Here are some before pics of the milk box (both from the inside of the house)
and now the work to seal it off
1) cut the dividing shelf (it allowed for mail to be dropped in and only accessed from the inside - but now if the slot is used, we want the mail to still be accessible from the outside since it will be the only access point)
2) Cut a piece of wood to size, I used my new Kreg jig (which I got for Christmas) to drill pocket holes. Then I screwed a screw into the middle to use as a handle. and then screwed it in place. (removing the screw in the middle when done)
3) remove the trim from the inside - ideally with less damage than what occurred......
4) caulk from the outside (maybe i will paint it next summer currently its too cold for exterior painting even if it does feel like spring)
5) patch with drywall and paint with primer.......probably won't get around to painting until we finish the basement and stairway. Patching was a little more work than I think it should have been, my drywall skills are poor, so it took me 4 times, hopefully I improve fast if I am going to help drywall the basement!
One more project that has been completed in 15 minute intervals, sometimes that's all the time you get.