Pages

Friday 5 August 2011

DIY up-cycled headboard

Projects. It seems that a lot of projects get started in our house, and before you are finished - a new one is started. This often means that it takes along time to finish things due to excitement/focus/motivation.....

About 6 years ago I thought it would be cool to turn an old door into a headboard. I was living in an old house at the time and found a door in the attic. For awhile I had the door leaning behind my bed as I tried out the idea. Then I spent some evenings scraping the varnish from the door. This was done on my tiny little balcony, in half hour increments over the summer of 2006. I never quite finished sanding it down to the bare wood before I moved in May 2007. I then moved in December 2009 and again in February 2011.....each time the door/headboard moved with me and was stored in the garage.

In July, as I was trying to make sure everything was 'unpacked' and put away from our move a few months earlier, I decided enough was enough and that I would finish my headboard project.

I have spent many hours looking at various DIY woodworking blogs, and have grown to love ana-white.com and she has definitely been motivation for finishing this project. She makes fantastic furniture, and shares the plans on her website.

I don't have a 'before' picture, well I might but unsure where that would be 6 years later...... and to be honest, the project isn't completely finished, its just leaning behind the bed. I still need to attach it to the frame.


I chose the dimensions based on the size of the door, not the size of the bed. Now the question is - do I centre it with a little extra headboard on each side? or centre the bed on the vertical portion of insets, and have it off set as in the photo?


-Lauren

2 comments:

NotANaturalSAHM said...

I like it offset, but I have no sense of fashion or style, so don't take my word on it.

Roisin said...

This is beautiful Lauren. Great job!
Once I made a table out of an old door. ~Roisin